Subscribe to Flip This Wholesaler

TopOfBlogs

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.flipthiswholesaler.net
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Perils of Making Blind Offers

7/1/2009

Well, I got an offer accepted yesterday.

I actually made the offer on the 15th of June, and never heard back, so I just figured they were rejecting it. The property is listed for 30k, and my offer was 17k. I made the offer without seeing the property in person, as I am getting increasingly lazy when it comes to actually going and looking at houses. I've done a lot of deals in this particular area (the hood), so I feel fairly comfortable making offers site unseen, especially when there are plenty of pictures of the house on the mls..

Anyway, so the bank came back last Friday (10 days later) with a counter of 25k, and at that point I decided to go look at the house. It's a 3/1 on a corner lot, and unfortunately, the neighborhood liquor store/prostitute hangout is right across the street. Not good. Also, the house has a funky layout, which is also not good. Two strikes on a piece of crap property in the hood is not good. (That was an accidental rhyme, btw)...

So, I told the listing agent that I wasn't budging on my price, and I figured that was the last I would hear from her. She ended up calling late yesterday afternoon to tell me they decided to take my initial offer of 17k.

Go figure.

I'm meeting Murphy out at the house as soon as I'm done writing this post to get his opinion on it. I told the listing agent I wasn't sure I still wanted to move forward with the deal, being that I made the offer 2 weeks ago, and now I have other properties to consider. This is kind of true, but mostly not.

I normally don't like jerking people around, but when it takes the bank 10 days to respond to an offer, I don't really feel too bad making them wait around a day or so for me to make a decision. Actually, I kind of enjoy it.

And that's all she wrote for today. I'm off to the hood....

P.S.
I haven't forgotten about the Power of Less Challenge for July. I'll write a post about that maƱana.


.

5 comments:

Alex Rodriguez said...

Steph, funny you should mention that... Just yesterday, an agent came back to us re: an offer we put in about 10 days ago as well, and I just thought the area (South St Pete) is also too war-zoney for me to gain momentum at this point in the business; but it was something we put out blindly, which I want to do less, but I also share the thought with you that a lot of times it's a pure waste of time/energy.

At what point do you usually go about requesting lockbox codes? Or do you get that straight from MLS whenever you decide you're going to visit?

Steph said...

I usually get them from the mls.

After awhile, you'll start remembering which agents use which codes and you can just guess them. They use the same ones over and over..

Steph

Alex Rodriguez said...

Got it.

I am using a friend's acct, so I'm not sure if it flags her when I request it through there, but that's what I've assumed so I've avoided doing it. That's why we've resorted to requesting it thru voice or email, but of course, that takes longer.

Steph said...

I have an assistant's acct which is the same as the regular mls, except it won't let me request lock box codes. I also have access to another friend's mls. When I need a code I just go into his account and request it. Never had a problem doing it that way.

Steph

Shae said...

I wouldn't feel bad either, Steph. You put a date on the contract that gives them a certain amount of time to respond...if the banks screw around and waits too long and you're no longer interested, so be it.