Subscribe to Flip This Wholesaler

TopOfBlogs

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.flipthiswholesaler.net
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Help Me Help You

6/22/2009

So, I spent the weekend working on an ebook that I intend to have ready shortly after my new blog is up and running (which should be the middle of next month). Initially, it was going to focus on building a buyers list for wholesale deals, but once I started writing it, I found that there was a lot more information that I wanted to put in the book.

I probably get 100 emails every week from readers of this blog, as well as readers of the REI forums that I participate on (Flippinghomes.com, BiggerPockets.com, REIClub.com). Most of the emails are questions about the process/mechanics of flipping REO properties, building a buyers lists, how to get started, etc. On average, I probably spend 2 hours/day answering emails, and after a year or so of doing this, I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of the questions most beginning investors have when it comes to getting started wholesaling REOs.

Over the weekend, I went through all of my old emails and private messages from the forums, and came up with a ginormous list of questions that I have been asked over the last few years. I plan to address all of these questions in the the ebook (and then some), but I also wanted to get some feedback from you guys to see if there's anything I missed.

What are the questions that you want to have answered? What are you most confused about when it comes to the process of wholesaling REOs? If you've already bought a course that teaches you how to flip REOs, was there something missing that you wish was included in the course?

I'm going to post the list of questions that I came up with (it's kind of long). If there's something I missed, please let me know. I would appreciate your feedback..

(1) What is an REO?

(2) Where do you find REOs?

(3) Do I need access to the mls if I want to wholesale REOs?

(4) How can I get access to the mls?

(5) How do you know which properties are REOs?

(6) How can I search for REOs once I get access to the mls?

(7) How do I find a realtor to submit offers for me?

(8) Can I use my own contract when making my offers?

(9) Which contingencies should I use when making offers?

(10) It says in the listing that I need a proof of funds letter to submit with my offers, is this true?

(11) Where can I get a proof of funds letter?

(12) Can I use a letter from a transactional funding source to make a cash offer?

(13) How do I choose which properties to offer on?

(14) Do I need an earnest money deposit to submit with my offers?

(15) I read on your blog that you got started when you were broke. How did you get around the earnest money deposit?

(16) I plan on making multiple offers on REOs, do I have to supply an earnest deposit with every offer?

(17) How soon is the earnest money check deposited once my offer is accepted?

(18) What if I can’t find a buyer? Do I get my deposit back?

(19) How do I decide how much to offer on an REO?

(20) What is the best way to learn what a deal is in my market?

(21) I made an offer and haven’t heard anything back. How long does it take for the bank to respond?

(22) The bank is asking for highest and best, what does that mean? How high should I go?

(23) The bank rejected my offer. Should I make another offer on it down the road? If so, how long should I wait?

(24) I plan on making a lot of offers on REOs, what’s the best way to keep track of them?

(25) My offer just got accepted! Now what?

(26) What’s up with this 40 page addenda? Do I have to sign it?

(27) When should I start marketing for a buyer?

(28) What are the top ten ways to build your buyers list?

(29) How do you prescreen your buyers to know that they are for real?

(30) Should I get a deposit from my buyer? If so, how much?

(31) My buyers are asking me how long I’ve owned the house. What should I tell them?

(32) What if my buyer tries to go around me and cut me out of the deal?

(33) What if my buyer finds out the property is listed on the mls for less than what I am selling it for?

(34) How do I get my buyer inside the property to view it?

(35) Can I assign my contract to my buyer?

(36) If I can’t assign the property, how do I sell it to my end buyer?

(37) My realtor told me simultaneous closes are illegal, is this true?

(38) The addenda says I have to use their title company to do the title work, is this true?

(39) I see that you are closing your REO deals at your title company. How are you able to do this?

(40) What is the best way to find a title company who will do a simultaneous close?

(41) What if I can’t find a title company who will do a simultaneous close?

(42) What is transactional funding?

(43) What are the fees involved?

(44) Will they fund the deal if I do not have a buyer?

(45) Should I tell the listing agent/bank’s title company that I am flipping the property?

(46) What happens if my buyer backs out of the deal the day of closing?

(47) I plan on making multiple offers on REOs. What happens if they all get accepted?

(48) I read on your blog that you do joint venture deals with other wholesalers. How do you find wholesalers to work with?

(49) How much do you get paid on a JV deal?

(50) What contracts do you use?

(51) How do you ensure that you are going to get paid?

(52) How do you prevent other wholesalers from stealing your buyers when you do JV deals?

(53) Do you make your offers in your personal name?

(54) Why do investors need me when they can just go on the mls and get the deals themselves?

(55) My brother told me that everything on the mls is picked over. True?

(56) I want to be a successful REO wholesaler. What do you think is the most important step in making that a reality?

(57) What formula should I be using to make my offers? What formula do you use? How much should I offer?

(58) How can I structure my offers so they are more likely to be accepted by the bank? What kind of offers are they looking for?

(59) How do I pick which properties to offer on? What do you look for when you are picking properties to offer on?

(60) What is the average DOM of the houses you put under contract?

(61) If you were starting over with no cash and no credit, what steps would you take to set up your REO wholesaling business?

(62) Do I have a better chance at getting my offers accepted if I make the offer directly through the listing agent?

(63) What is the average discount off of list price that you get?

(64) Should I ever offer full list price?

(65) What is your average profit on your REO wholesale deals?

(66) How many offers does it take for you to get a deal?

(67) Do you ever make blind offers? If so, how do you decide what to offer?

(68) I just listened to a webinar that suggested I make hundreds of blind offers at once just to see if anything sticks. Do you think this is a good idea?

(69) I’m confused about the steps involved in flipping an REO from start to finish. Can you walk me through a deal?

(70) Can you give me some numbers of some of the deals you’ve done?

(71) How long does a deal usually take from start to finish?

(72) I’ve heard that the bank’s title companies suck. Is this true?

(73) How can I get the bank’s title company to hurry the hell up?

(74) I plan on putting properties under contract and using a weasel clause, and then backing out if I can’t find a buyer. Do you think this is a solid plan?

(75) The listing agent is telling me the bank wants 10% in earnest money. I don’t have it. What should I do?

(76) I’ve made over 500 offers and I haven’t gotten one accepted. What am I doing wrong?

(77) I heard that I can’t flip a Fannie Mae property for more than a percentage of the purchase price. Is this true?

(78) Can I wholesale an REO to someone getting a conventional loan? Why not?

(79) An agent is refusing to submit my offer because it is too low. Don’t they legally have to submit the offer?

(80) I’m trying to submit an offer on a Countrywide property, and they are saying I need to be prequalified with CW even though I have a prequal from my hard money lender. What can I do?

(81) I read on your blog that you use bandit signs to sell your deals and find buyers. What do you write on them?

(82) Where do you get your signs, and how much do they cost?

(83) How many signs do you usually put out at once? Where do you put them? Don't you get fined for putting them out?

(84) I read that you find buyers by calling "for rent" signs. Is there a script you use when you call? What do you say?

(85) I see that you live in Tampa, FL. What the hell is up with all of the real estate gurus there? Is there something in the water? Good grief.

(86) Does Watson Title really suck that badly?

(87) I read on Facebook that you have a Helper Monkey. Where can I get one?

********************************************************************************

OK, so that's what I have so far.

What do you think? What am I leaving out?

What is it that's holding you back from wholesaling REOs?

Any input is appreciated....

Speak now or forever hold your peace!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph,

WOW... I think you about covered it all.

I looked over the list twice but forgive me if I overlooked this one...Its still earily.

I would have a question regarding repairs.

How do you estimate repairs or do you have a professional contractor do it for you?

Great Job.

Hugh

Steph said...

Ooh.

That's a good one!

This is why I wanted to ask you guys..

The short answer to that question is- I guesstimate.

When I was getting started, I was worried to death about how to estimate the repairs, and then I slowly figured out that you don't have to know exactly how much every single repair costs.

I usually don't even give my buyers a repair estimate- I let them figure it out on their own. I give them a general idea of what condition the house is in (move-in condition, cosmetic fixer, or total disaster).

This might not work if you're selling to newbie investors, but most of my buyers are experienced guys who have been in the game for many years, so they are more than capable of doing their own estimates.

Steph

Anonymous said...

Umm, I think you've got it covered.

What's the price tag?

Ray

Steph said...

Not sure yet.

Once I'm finished, I'm giving it to a few people (a mix of newbies and pros)to review, and have them tell me what they think it's worth.

Probably under $100.

Shae said...

Steph, incredible list you have here! This will be one awesome e-book which I know I will highly recommend to others!

Other questions to consider for your book:

1) I just moved to a new city and want to get started as a wholesaler. What would you recommend for my immediate 30 and 60-day plan?

2) I'm committed to this, but I work a full time job and have limited time. Which parts of this business should I consider outsourcing? Can I outsource right away or should I do it myself first?

Steph said...

Good ones, Shae. Thanks for the input. :)

P.S.
I will get your MM cds in the mail this week. I'm a horrible procrastinator when it comes to mailing stuff. :(

Shae said...

Thanks Steph, appreciate it! Did you manage to get your dad's gift & card to him on time?

Alex Rodriguez said...

I'll echo other people's comments and will say:

WOW!!!

I WANNA FRIKKIN READ IT RIGHT NOW!!!

LOL

Seriously, this is awesome stuff you'll be putting out there, true kudos to you for recognizing that you have something valuable worth sharing.

I will buy it, or maybe you'll consider me as one of your "newbie" reviewers. :) Either way, I want your book!!

Keep it up, sis!!

A&R

Steph said...

Shae- yes, I got it there on time. It wasn't cheap, but that's what I get for procrastinating.

Alex- thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated. :)

Alex Rodriguez said...

Here's another question:

"The bank just accepted my offer, but now I'm having second thoughts about those numbers. What can I do?"

;)

Steph said...

Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Just kidding.

Start marketing the hell out of the property to try and get feedback on whether or not you have a deal.

The bank is going to send you their addendum, which is technically another counter offer, so you are not obligated to move forward with the deal at that point, even though the bank accepted your offer.

You're going to piss the agent(s) off if you walk, but you still have that option.

You can also use an inspection contingency to protect yourself, but just be aware that it is going to weaken your offer, and if you start backing out of deals all the time using an inspection contingency as your excuse, you are going to ruin your reputation in a hurry.

Steph

Rookie R.E.I. said...

Fantastic Stuff -- I had suggested a long "pillar" post when you get your new Blog live, but an e-book? It's the most logical step, based on the volume of info that you have to share.
I would probably add, as a supplement to #56 and 61 (and Shae's comment) possibly an appendix with a basic business/marketing plan for the REO wholesaler...

Good luck - I think your timing should be excellent!

p.s. -- please don't go too "guru" on us -- I would hate to see my inbox full of daily e-mails from all your "friends'" JV offers!

Steph said...

Thanks, Rookie.

I'm totally going to spam the hell out of all of my readers once the ebook is ready! I already have a sleazy sales letter written up and everything..

Teeeeheeee.

JUST KIDDING!

Shae said...

...and then you can run a webinar...which will completely fill up! Offer a stellar product or service at a rock bottom price ONLY for 3 hours to create the sense of urgency. But THEN the next day when the deal is supposed to be completely closed, claim technical difficulties so you can send it out just one more time and "be fair" to all the people who were sending you tons of emails to let you know they weren't able to get into the webinar or somehow didn't get the email and wanted to take advantage of this once in a lifetime deal.

Oh sorry...how I do go on and on...

I'm not hatin' the players, just hatin' the game ;-)

LOL!

Steph said...

HEHEHEHE!

My favorite is the old "Oops, I sent out the wrong link in my last email- here's another email with the correct link" technique. That one kills me.

Steph

P.S.
CLICK HERE RIGHT NOW BECAUSE WHO KNOWS HOW LONG THIS OFFER IS GOING TO LAST!!

Shae said...

LOL! And the funniest thing is...the only reason its done (over and over again by the same folks) is because it truly works. Hook. Line. Sinker.

Steph said...

Yup. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Sanford Collins, CPA, REALTOR® said...

Steph,

I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now and your insight into wholesaling is awesome! I just started wholesaling full-time two weeks ago in the Maryland suburbs of DC. Great questions...I can't wait to see the answers. A couple of questions I have are:

1) How do you select your target neighborhoods? And how many do you work? Are you able to stay within 15 minutes of home like the gurus say?

2) You have a mentor, so do you recommend that anyone doing this biz have a mentor? Should I sign up for Steve Cook's mentoring program?

3) Do you work deals in "war zones"? Why or why not?

-Sanford

Steph said...

Hi Sanford,

The areas I work are all within 15 minutes of where I live. I'm right smack dab in the middle of the city, so I have plenty of options.

We don't really have war zones here, but there are some rough spots, and yes, I work those areas. I love me some hood!

I will pretty much go anywhere in Tampa, although there are areas that I like better than others (because my buyers like those areas).

As far as having a mentor- I don't think it's something you absolutely have to have in order to succeed, but if you can find a good one (like Steve), it is definitely worth the money.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks for stopping by..

Steph

Kelly said...

Wow Steph,
How cool of you to publish or Epublish (?) this information. I like the sales pitch about a limited amount of copies ... it's an ebook or an mp3 that is being advertised. And once they are gone, they are GONE! ......till next week when only a handful of copies are found and once those are gone, they are GONE! no, for reals this time! :)
It does work though, LOL.

You provide a lot of great information for a lot of folks, don't sell yourself short :)

mobilehomegurl said...

Awesome to hear about the eBook, Steph! Good for you :) I like #26 - LOL! It's def a lot of paperwork!

I think a lot of people going into real estate get overwhelmed by the process - putting the deal together (i.e. making offers, finding an agent to work with, marketing, getting MLS access, finding buyers, etc), and closing the deal.. I think alot of this has to do with being able to follow and stick with a system and just putting a good team together - it's definitely a process, seems like you've covered it all!

ToyaVG said...

Good morning Ms, Steph,

Can't wait to obtain your book. Have you considered offering a mentorship program? I would eagerly sign up. Thanks.

LaToya

Steph said...

Hi Toya,

I have had quite a few people ask me about it, so I'm kicking the idea around.

I'll keep you posted.

Steph

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be late to the party, but my question would be how much of this info is applicable in another state.

Steph said...

Not sure what you are referring to.

Most of this is just general REO Q and A.

Steph

jp moses | REI Tips said...

Hey, that's awesome, Steph! It's about time you came out with an eBook on your magical world!

You're awesome and I can't wait to read it. If there's anything I can do, just ask.

...jp

Steph said...

Thanks, JP. Much appreciated.

I was actually going to send you an email and get your opinion on some stuff regarding the book. You must have read my mind. :)

Hope you are doing well.

Steph